Charges for assisting in summary only road traffic offences
Fees for assistance with summary only motoring offences under Part 1 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.
We charge a fixed fee of £500 plus VAT for a guilty plea.
The fee includes the following:-
- Taking your instructions for up to 2 hours
- Considering evidence
- Representation at a single hearing for plea and sentence
- Providing advice in relation to plea and likely sentence
- We anticipate this will take approximately 2-3 hours in total.
- Advice on Appeal against sentence.
The fee does not include:-
- Additional hearings that are charged at £250 plus VAT
- Occasionally, a copy of the Magistrates court decision (Memorandum of Conviction) is required, this costs £10 per copy.
- Any supplementary applications such as exceptional hardship/special reasons/Newton hearings.
- Taking statements from and/ or instructing expert witnesses
- Any additional work will be charged at an hourly rate of £220 per hour maximum dependant on grade of lawyer handling case.
- Cost of time and mileage travelling to courts other than Leicester Magistrates Court.
Key stages of your matter based on a guilty plea are set out below.
- Meet with your lawyer to provide instructions
- We will consider initial disclosure, an any other evidence and provide advice
- Explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of the hearing, and the sentencing options available to the court
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary
- Your hearing will take place once it is listed by the court
- We will attend court on the day of your hearing and meet with you before the scheduled hearing time. We anticipate being at court for approximately 3 hours.
- We will discuss the outcome with you.
Ordinarily, a matter is likely to take 8 weeks from receipt of summons to conclusion.
Where there is not a guilty plea?
The costs of the initial hearing will be as stated above (in the guilty plea section)
The costs for trial will depend upon whether issues are factual/technical, the complexity thereof and time estimate for length of trial.
The hourly rates as quoted above will apply unless a fixed fee