Select Page

Legal Separation without Divorce

Some couples may not want to make the very final decision to divorce, but still feel they need time away from the relationship; or they may have religious objections to divorce but still want to resolve financial matters. Commonly, people do not want to use a fault-based divorce and therefore wait until they have been separated for two years but still wish to resolve financial matters in the meantime.

A legal separation can be requested using the same reasons as a divorce but there is no need to prove a marriage has irretrievably broken down.

If you think a legal separation could be right for you and your partner contact the expert family lawyers here at Bray & Bray for advice.

Legal separation and marrying again

Remember that legal separation does not leave you or your partner free to marry again. If either party finds themselves in the situation where they wish to marry, then they must go through the proper divorce proceedings.

Why choose legal separation?

Typically, people choose legal separation because:

  • It gives time for reflection over whether or not a marriage is really over;
  • They disagree with divorce on religious or moral grounds;
  • There are financial issues involved in a split and legal help is required to resolve them

How to legally separate

A deed of separation

A deed of separation is the actual legal document which sets out the separation agreement. Most deeds of separation will state that:

  • A couple has agreed to live apart
  • They have agreed arrangements over children
  • They have agreed on maintenance payments
  • They have agreed over the occupation and ownership of their shared home

Contact our family law solicitors

If you are unsure which separation option is best for you and your spouse the experienced family law team here at Bray & Bray can help. For plain English and honest legal advice on how best to go about your separation, contact our family lawyers today and we will help.

Contact us to discuss an enquiry or a case you have or feel free to pop in and see us at your local office by clicking on the links below;

Leicester call us on 0116 254 8871.

Hinckley call us on 01455 639 900.

Market Harborough call us on 01858 467 181.

Corby call us on 01536 851050.