Select Page

Care Home Planning

“Will my parents have to sell their house to pay for care fees?”

It is becoming common knowledge that people are now living far longer than they were even just 20 years ago.  As a result of this, there is more demand for care homes; both private and local authority run.

In our short video below, we provide guidance about when your parents would have to fund their own care and when it would be covered by the Local Authority.

Local authority care home planning

Your local authority will assess whether you require community care services, whilst the NHS is responsible for assessing whether you need NHS Continuing Healthcare – which includes nursing care as well as personal care.

NHS Continuing Healthcare

In the event that the NHS assesses you to have a ‘primary health need’, you would be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare.  If you have been assessed as needing accommodation as part of this, it would be included in your care and fully funded by the NHS.

Care homes – means testing

If you don’t have a ‘primary health need’, your local authority would carry out a means test to assess your ability to pay for your own care (the nursing element will still be eligible for some NHS funding).

Care home means testing boundaries

If you have over £23,250 of eligible capital, you will be expected to meet the full cost of your residential care.  However, the capital might not take your house into account.  For example, if you share your house with one of the following people, your house would not be included in the £23,250 capital:

  • Your partner (husband, wife, civil partner or someone you live with as though you are married or civil partners)
  • A relative (including step-relatives and in-laws) who is 60 years old or over, or a younger relative who is ‘incapacitated’ (which means in receipt of certain state benefits)
  • A former partner who is divorced or estranged from you but who is a lone parent of a minor
  • A child under 18 years who you are liable to maintain

Paying for a care home with a pension

Your pension and other income will be used as a contribution towards care home fees.   If your income doesn’t cover the full cost, your home and other capital would then potentially need to be used.

If you’re not sure – ask!

We have offices in Leicester, Market Harborough and Hinckley where local Wills, Trusts and Probate solicitors will be happy to have a chat with you about care home planning in plain English there and then over the telephone.  We can also then arrange a meeting at a convenient time for you.

We also always work on the basis that we will only do the work that you want us to do, without pressuring you to take up services that you don’t want or need right now.  Our transparency with costs and pricing also means that we will only ever charge you for what we do – rather than taking percentage of what you inherit.

Speak to a solicitor about care home planning

Contact us to discuss an enquiry or a case you have or feel free to pop in and see us at your local office by clicking on the links below;

Leicester call us on 0116 254 8871.

Hinckley call us on 01455 639 900.

Market Harborough call us on 01858 467 181.

Corby call us on 01536 851050.

11 + 12 =