Select Page

Elderly Client

You may care for someone elderly and need advice or indeed you may just want to ensure your affairs are in order. Common questions are:

  • What can you do if someone close to you is unwell and can’t look after their finances?
  • What would I do if I couldn’t look after my finances?
  • Who would make those decisions for me?
  • If I needed a nursing home in the future, who would make those decisions?

Long Term Care Planning

It’s hard to imagine not being able to live in your own home and look after yourself. Planning at the right time to make sure any care you may need in the future is in place is important for some people. Sometimes it is possible to protect the value of all or part of your home from having to be spent on care. Find out more about the rules about paying for a permanent care home place.

Lasting Power of Attorney

Under the Mental Capacity Act 2005 it is possible to appoint a person of your own choosing to administer your affairs in the event of mental incapacity. There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorney – one for property and financial affairs – and one for personal welfare.

Property & Affairs Lasting Power of Attorney

This deals with property and financial matters. You must appoint an Attorney whilst you still have capacity. They can then act for you now (if you wish) and at such time that you may lack capacity in the future.

A Personal Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney

This deals with personal healthcare and welfare. Your personal welfare Attorney can only make decisions when you lack the capacity to make them for yourself.

Court of Protection

If you or a relative is unable to look after their own affairs and does not have a suitable Power of Attorney in place, it will probably be necessary to apply to the Court of Protection for someone to be appointed as their Deputy. The process can seem daunting, but we have the experience and knowledge to help you.

If you need to instruct a firm of solicitors to deal with an elderly client matter for you then do check that the firm has members of Solicitors for the Elderly. Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE) is an association of lawyers who specialise in legal services for older people and their carers. Members of SFE have a wealth of experience within this key legal area and they are required to have spent a substantial amount of time working for elderly clients. The aim of this national association is to improve the knowledge and service provided on legal issues including, tax planning, wills, powers of attorney, long-term social and health care and other retirement issues.

Speak to our team of elderly client experts

We always work on the basis that we will only do the work that you want us to do, without pressuring you to take up services that you don’t want or need right now.  Our transparency with costs and pricing also means that we will only ever charge you for what we do – rather than taking percentage of what you inherit.

For advice and assistance contact our solicitors today. Bray & Bray has three main offices in Leicestershire, contact us to discuss an enquiry or a case you have or feel free to pop in and see us at your local office by clicking on the links below;

Leicester call us on 0116 254 8871.

Hinckley call us on 01455 639 900.

Market Harborough call us on 01858 467 181.

Corby call us on 01536 851050.