Q: I want to see my grandchildren and the parent(s) will not let me? What can I do? 

In these circumstances you have the following options to try to arrange to see your grandchildren:

  1. Try to reach an agreement with the parent(s) directly in person or by writing to them
  2. Speak to a family law solicitor who can provide you with advice and write to the parent(s) to attempt to reach an agreement
  3. Attend mediation with the parent(s)
  4. If an agreement cannot be reached either directly, via solicitors or at mediation then the only option remaining would be to make an application to Court for a Child Arrangements Order to spend time with your grandchildren.

When deciding whether an Order should be made the Court will consider:

  • The ascertainable wishes and feelings of the child concerned (considered in the light of the child’s age and understanding)
  • The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
  • The likely effect on the child of any change in his/her circumstances
  • The child’s age, sex, background and any other characteristic which the Court considers relevant
  • Any harm which a child had suffered or is at risk of suffering
  • How capable each of the child’s parents, and any other person in relation to whom the Court considers the question to be relevant, is of meeting the child’s needs
  • The range of powers available to the Court under the Children Act under the proceedings in question

Bray & Bray Solicitors has representatives of the family law team based at each of its offices in Leicester, Hinckley and Market Harborough, who will each be able to help with specialist children and grandchildren access issues.

Questions about access to children and grandchildren

If you have any questions regarding access to see your children or grandchildren, contact our specialist family law department.  We have representatives of the family law team based at our offices in Leicester, Hinckley and Market Harborough, who will each be happy to have a free initial telephone conversation to help answer your questions.

Request a fixed fee initial appointment

Depending on the nature of your enquiry, you may be able to book an initial appointment with a specialist family law solicitor at a fixed, set price. This price will include a full hour of the solicitor’s time as well as an email or letter to confirm what was discussed in writing. To request a fixed fee initial appointment, email Head of Department David Berridge at dberridge@braybray.co.uk or call him on 0116 2045 380.