[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ admin_label=”section” _builder_version=”3.0.47″][et_pb_row admin_label=”row” _builder_version=”3.0.47″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.0.47″ parallax=”off” parallax_method=”on”][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” _builder_version=”3.0.47″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat”]

Not all drivers involved in road traffic accidents stop at the scene or come forward to help the Police investigation.  If the driver at fault leaves the scene of the accident without providing any details, it can be extremely frustrating and will certainly make a bad situation worse.

There are more than 350,000 ‘hit and run accidents’ in the UK every year and most victims find themselves in doubt about how to seek compensation for any injuries or losses that they have suffered.

I have been injured in a ‘hit and run accident’.  I didn’t manage to get the vehicle registration number, can I still claim?

The simple answer is yes!

If you are involved in an accident and the driver at fault leaves the scene (or you have not been able to identify them for some other reason e.g. they have provided false details), you must report the accident to the police within 14 days of the accident.  Failure to stop at the scene of an accident is a criminal offence.  The Police should carry out investigations to try to trace the driver.

If you have been injured by a driver that is untraceable, it is possible to make a claim via the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB).  The MIB is a non-profit making company that compensates victims of untraced drivers and is funded by motor insurers and motorists via their insurance premiums.

What you need to know about an MIB claim

  • You should report the accident to the police within 14 days
  • You must make your claim for injury within 3 years of the accident date
  • You must make an effort to keep your losses to a minimum e.g. by seeking appropriate medical treatment as soon as possible

What does an MIB claim include?

  • Your treatment and/or rehabilitation costs
  • Compensation for the pain and suffering your injuries have caused you
  • Compensation for any financial losses you incur as a result of your injury e.g. loss of earnings

Personal injury advice

Contact our team of specialist personal injury lawyers, based at our head office in Leicester, to speak to someone today.  Your first meeting with us, whether at home, the hospital or at our offices, will always be completely free and you can reach us 24 hours a day.

We have three main offices across Leicestershire so feel free to phone or pop in and talk to our solicitors at your local office.