How safe is Leicester?

In the year December 2014-November 2015 there were around 12,500 violent crimes reported to Leicestershire Police, the highest level in the past 3 years (compared to 11,912 reports in December 2013-November 2014 and 10,562 reports in December 2012-November 2013).

For further information visit:

What you need to know if you are the innocent victim of a violent crime

If you have been an innocent victim of a violent crime and sustained a physical or psychological injury as a result, you may be entitled to compensation for those injuries.

The nature of the crime can be anything from an unprovoked attack in the street to longstanding periods of physical and/or sexual abuse.

There are a number of different ways in which you may bring a claim to compensate you for your injuries.

A claim against the perpetrator of the crime?

You can pursue a claim against the person who committed the violent crime against you.  However, unless you have detailed information about that person’s financial position, it is not usually sensible to do so.

You could find yourself in the position where your claim succeeds but the perpetrator either cannot be located or does not have the money to pay any compensation. 

A claim against your employer?

As their employee, your employer has a duty of care to ensure that you are kept safe whilst at work.  The law requires employers to take reasonable steps to protect their employees from being injured or being exposed to a foreseeable risk of being injured.

If you have been injured as a result of a violent crime which took place at work and your employer did not do enough to protect you, they may be held liable to compensate you for your injuries (see ‘What to do if You are Attacked at Work’).

An application to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (‘CICA’)?

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (‘CICA’) is a publicly funded organisation whose purpose is to deal with compensation claims from innocent victims of violent crime.

If you were not the victim of the violent crime but you were present at and witnessed an incident in which a loved one was injured, you may be eligible for CICA compensation.  You may also be eligible if you were involved in the immediate aftermath of a violent crime in which a loved one was injured.  Claims of this nature are usually only available to spouses/civil partners, parents or children of the injured person.

In order for the CICA to consider an application, the following criteria must be met:

  1. the application must be made within 2 years of the violent crime (this time limit will only be extended in very limited exceptional circumstances)
  2. the applicant must be a UK resident or EEA member
  3. the injury must exceed £1,000.00 in value (see below)
  4. the violent crime must have been reported to the Police

The CICA has a fixed tariff in place which sets out compensation awards.  The level of compensation depends on the nature and severity of the injuries you have sustained and if you suffer any long term effects.  The maximum amount that the CICA can award is £500,000.00.

The CICA makes a decision on all applications by referring to the fixed tariff and without any involvement from the Court.  An independent Tribunal may be involved in the event an applicant appeals a CICA decision. 

Contact our specialist personal injury lawyers for more information

If you are an innocent victim of a violent crime, it is important to seek specialist advice as soon as possible to ensure that you are properly compensated for your injuries and losses.

Contact our team of expert personal injury lawyers, based at our head office in Leicester, to speak to someone today.  Your first meeting with us, whether at home, the hospital or at our offices, will always be completely free.