The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) set tariffs for different types of injuries and they are used to figure out how much compensation you should receive.

Bar and club attacks

The reality of the consequences of such an attack upon a person, whether it’s physical, psychological or financial can have a negative effect upon your life for years to come.

If you can demonstrate that you have suffered an injury as a result of a violent crime then you may be able to claim compensation. Any amount awarded will be calculated taking into account the nature and severity of the injury and the impact it has on your life. A serious personal injury could affect your ability to earn a living and the trauma from an attack of this nature might lead to depression or other psychological problems.

In many court cases the person found guilty of the attack will be made (by the court) to pay some compensation, but this is rarely sufficient to properly compensate a victim for their injuries and the effect on their day to day life.  There are also many cases where the attacker remains unidentified and is never arrested. However it is still possible to claim compensation by making an application to the CICA.

Can I claim if I have been attacked abroad?

The answer is yes. A claim can be made against the person or persons who assaulted you or against your travel company if they failed to ensure your safety whilst you were abroad. Physical or sexual assaults are not restricted to the UK and occur in many other areas of the world.  The rules are different depending on whether the violent crime occurred in an EU country or one outside the EU.

If you are injured in an EU country, you can speak to someone at the CICA and get advice from them about the process of making a CICA application in an EU country.

Not all countries outside the EU have a criminal injuries compensation scheme.  If you are the victim of a violent crime outside the EU, you may require help in making a claim.  You can seek advice from the British Embassy or consulate and they may be able to put you in touch with an experienced lawyer who can advise you about whether there is a compensation scheme available.

Domestic violence

Seeking compensation may be the last thing on your mind but it may be the first step towards putting your life back together again if you have been a victim of domestic violence. The individual details of your case will determine whether you claim directly from the perpetrator or make an application to the CICA.

For many victims of domestic violence the effects can be psychological as much as they are physical. Wounds that are psychological in nature can take far longer to heal and can have a long term effect upon your ability to live a full social and personal life and pursue paid employment.  For example, you could develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which reveals itself from symptoms including:

  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Anger
  • Panic
  • Grief
  • Guilt

Psychological stress of this kind would have a huge impact on your life. The ability to seek compensation whilst feeling as though you are working towards getting the justice you deserve can help to regain a sense of control in your own life. 

Criminal injury advice

Our specialist personal injury lawyers will be able to explain and advise you on what the best course of action will be for your type of case. Your first meeting with us, whether at home, the hospital or at our offices, will always be completely free. To speak to someone during office hours, use the telephone numbers below.

Leicester 0116 254 8871

Hinckley 01455 639 900

Market Harborough 01858 467 181