On 20th December the Leicester Mercury reported that Leicestershire’s Blaby district has one of the highest rates of accidents at work in England and Wales.  With double the average figure for other districts, Blaby is ranked the 10th most dangerous place to work according to the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.

The Leicester Mercury went on to explain that the rate of injuries per 100,000 workers is 298 across the country over the last financial year, with Blaby district’s equivalent being 618.  The second highest ranked in Leicestershire for injuries at work was Oadby, with 370 injuries per every 100,000 workers.

Unfortunately this news wasn’t too surprising for Personal Injury solicitor Ian Johnson, who regularly deals with accident work claims at Leicestershire based Bray & Bray Solicitors, where he is a Partner.

Commenting on the article, Ian says:  “We deal with many compensation claims from people who have had accidents and injuries at work, ranging from slips and trips to very serious and severe accidents including brain injuries and the loss of limbs, which often involve machinery and manual work.”

The Leicester Mercury states that during the last financial year more than 100 people had to take seven days or more off from work due to work related injuries, 30 of which were considered to be major injuries.

Speaking about limitations to claiming for accidents at work, Ian says: “We spend so much time at work that for many of us, it becomes a huge part of our lives.  This can make the decision about whether to sue your employer following an accident at work a difficult one.  However, what many people don’t realise is that there’s only a limited amount of time to claim for injuries sustained at work – usually up to three years.  After then, if you end up out of work due to an accident that happened over three years ago, where your injuries have perhaps become progressively more debilitating, including injuries that affect your hearing, sight, grip and mobility, it may be that there’s nothing you can do.”

Advice about claiming for an accident at work

For advice about whether or not you have a claim or to speak to an expert personal injury lawyer about the claims process, contact Bray & Bray’s personal injury specialists at one of the offices below.